Monday, September 24, 2012

All This Time

They say time heals every hurt. What they forget is that every hurt leaves a scar. It can be a tiny little abrasion on the skin, and it can be an ugly puckered pink angry lil fella. The point is that there is a scar. A scar that you can look at and remember the hurt it came from. Like the one on the side of my wrist. Slim long white line from over a decade ago. I still remember how I got it. I remember being chased around all over the school canteen, and then doing some chasing of my own. I remember my friend catching me, I remember said friend's obscenely huge watch scratching against my wrist, I remember going to the clinic, and I remember getting bandaged up by HIM. I didn't change that bandage for two whole days! (yikes right?) And I remember spending three years pining over him. I remember looking at the scar and sighing.. I remember looking at the scar and cringing. I still see that scar and get taken back to that August day in 1999...
And then there are scars that are entirely internal... Scars that no one can see, but you know are there. Scars that make their presence felt every now and then. Scars of wounds from long ago, wounds that were accidental, deliberate and stupid. Yes they can be all three at the same time. And it is these scars that keep from healing. That time can not change, that time cannot heal, that never fade away, no matter how long it has been since they were created. And yes, these are scars that are created... They are after all deliberate in nature.

No comments: